Most Popular Articles

  • Why is rapper Jay-Z appearing in court. (FEROTV)

    Jay-Z will answer questions about the clothing company Rocawear. 

    After failing to show up for court appearances for a number of months, rapper Jay-Z is set to testify amid an investigation looking into the Rocawear clothing brand.

    Here is everything you need to know about the case so far...

    Why is Jay-Z in court on Tuesday?

    A federal judge in New York has allowed the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to demand his testimony following a five month delay.

    The rapper has failed to appear in court despite being required to by multiple subpoenas.

    Jay-Z’s lawyers have tried to prevent the appearance, arguing he has had to prepare for his On the Run II tour, which is set to begin in June.

    What is his involvement with Rocawear?

    Jay-Z co-founded the clothing and accessories brand, which blends sports and streetwear style, in 1999 with his business partner Damon Dash. The pair also co-founded Roc-A-Fella Records in 1995.

    The hip hop star sold the rights to Rocawear in 2007 to the Iconix Brand Group for $204m (£150m), but remained Rocawear’s Chief Creative Officer.

    He stayed on to oversee marketing and product development and also began to work with Iconix on a separate venture to identify other brands to be acquired.

    What is the focus of the SEC investigation?

    The SEC will decide whether the company violated security laws through the reporting of its financial assets.

    What questions will Jay-Z have to answer?

    The businessman, whose real name is Shawn Carter, will be asked questions about Rocawear’s value before and after the sale and his involvement with the company.

    Jay-Z's lawyers argue that he has no involvement in Iconix’s financial reporting or other company actions.

    His testimony is expected to last for at least a day.

    Read more
  • Nipsey Hussle shooting suspect ID'd by Los Angeles police; search underway

    Authorities on Monday released the name of the suspect who shot and killed rapper Nipsey Hussle and injured several others in a shooting at a strip mall in South Los Angeles on Sunday.

    The suspected gunman has been identified as Eric Holder, a 29-year-old Los Angeles resident with gang ties, according to a news release by the Los Angeles Police Department

     

    He remained at large and is wanted for homicide, the release said.

    The suspect walked up to three adult males – including Hussle -- who were standing in front of a business in a strip mall in South Los Angeles around 3:20 p.m. Sunday and opened fire, the release said.

    The Los Angeles Times cited law enforcement sources who said Holder was an acquaintance of Hussle and they had gotten into a dispute before the shooting.

    The suspect then fled the scene in a white 2016 Chevy Cruz that was driven by an unidentified female accomplice, according to the release. The vehicle’s California license plate was reported to be 7RJD742.

    CROWD PANICS AT NIPSEY HUSSLE VIGIL IN LA, RESULTING IN INJURIES, POLICE SAY

    Two of the victims were transported to local hospitals for their injuries, the release said. Hussle, whose real name was Ermias Asghedom, died at the scene.

    A vigil for Hussle erupted into chaos on Monday after an unknown violent incident had provoked a stampede of people and multiple injuries. Early reports blamed the eruption on shots being fired but LAPD later said those reports were not accurate.

    Read more
  • Police officer filmed beating boy in handcuffs will be investigated

    The police watchdog is investigating the arrest of a teenager who was repeatedly beaten with a baton by a plain-clothes officer officer.

    Distressing footage shows the 17-year-old screaming ‘What the f*** are you doing to me? I’m a f***ing child!’ as the officer whacks him with a cosh. The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) confirmed it has launched an investigation into what happened on Easter Monday afternoon on an east London street. The Metropolitan Police referred the incident to the watchdog on Friday after a member of the public who saw what happened complained that the use of the baton was excessive, the IOPC said. Footage posted online appears to show a black male in handcuffs on a pavement being struck several times by an officer using a baton. In a statement, the arrested boy’s mother said she was ‘appalled’ by the ‘violent arrest’ and that the family had been ‘traumatised’ by it.

    The unnamed woman added: ‘We are enormously grateful for the huge amount of support we have received since the publication of the video.’ IOPC interim regional director for London Sal Naseem said: ‘We recognise that this incident has generated significant concern amongst the local community, as well as comment from police officers, concerning the officer’s decision to use his baton during the arrest. ‘The video circulating on social media only captures part of the arrest, so it is right we independently investigate to establish what happened during the entirety of the incident.’ Police said they had stopped and searched two teenage boys on Easter Monday afternoon in Heath Park Road, Romford, east London, under the Misuse of Drugs Act. A 17-year-old boy was found in possession of class B drugs and arrested for possession with intent to supply and obstruction of a drugs search, Scotland Yard said. The second boy, aged 14, made off to his home address in Brentwood Road but was later detained there, the force said. Police said that, during a struggle, an officer was assaulted. The boy was arrested for obstruction and assault on a police officer.

    Both teenagers were later released under investigation. In a statement, Scotland Yard said: ‘We are aware of footage circulating on social media. ‘A full review into the circumstances surrounding the incident was carried out by the East Area Command Unit professional standards team, in liaison with the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards. ‘A public complaint was received, then referred to the IOPC, who have now launched an independent investigation.

    A petition calling for the suspension of a police officer said to have been involved in the incident has gained more than 34,000 signatures. The change.org campaign, started by the BAME Lawyers for Justice group, said: ‘We condemn the recent, aggressive and disproportionately violent arrest of two young black brothers.’ The group added: ‘This arrest has caused huge outrage and concern amongst Londoners and many more concerned citizens throughout the country are appalled at what they’ve seen.’

     

     

     

    Read more

Latest Articles

Most Popular